Appendix 4 - Surgical Rubbing
Step by step images for surgical hand preparation technique using alcohol based hand rub (ABHR)
- Download print quality poster (A3 size)
- The hand rubbing technique for surgical hand preparation must be performed on clean, dry hands.
- After the operation when removing gloves, hands must be rubbed with an alcohol-based formulation or washed with soap and water if any residual talc or biological fluids are present (e.g. the glove is punctured).
- Surgical procedures may be carried out one after the other without the need for hand washing. provided that the hand rubbing technique or surgical hand preparation is followed (images 1-15).
- Surgical scrubbing should not be combined with surgical hand rubbing in sequence.